[at-l] Packing a Blown Back

Greetings,

In the Fall/Winter of 1997, I blew a disc in my back.  My symptoms got
progressively worse (pain in hip/leg, numbness in big toe/foot, loss of
strength in foot) and I had minor back surgery (microdiscectomy) to cut out
the ruptured portion of that disc (L4-L5, I believe).  The next one down,
L5-S1 I think, is also deteriorating.  Since the surgery, I believe I've
regained most, if not all, of my strength loss.  My doctor told me to resume
all of my normal activities except my 20 year love affair with the game of
basketball.  I limit my basketball to my driveway with the boys.  At 37, my
dunking days are over anyway and my only major jumping is to keep my
teenager in his place.  Between experience and a physical game that
occasionally resembles mugging, I figure I can keep him down for another
year.

Regarding backpacking and pack weight, Doc told me to pack no more than 35
pounds.  I'm 6-1 and 195 lbs., and I've carried a good bit more than that
since then without problems.  My hiking is limited to short overnight
stretches with my boys and an annual 100 miler to knock out a section of the
AT.

According to my neurosurgeon, the best result from back surgery is relief of
symptoms, but I'd always have a bad joint in my back.  There's also a chance
of re-rupture, but I'm not going to live scared, just aware.  If you're in
the Atlanta area and need a neurosurgeon, I recommend my guy to everyone -
he's cut several of my friends and my boss (who's a friend).  Tariq Javed,
Marietta.  I thought the fact that he'd done microdiscectomies on Atlanta
Hawks players was highest praise until a doctor I went to said, "Oh, he's
very good.  He does all of the doctors' backs."

Regarding exercises, if you search the archives, someone posted back
exercises (or a link for back exercises) several years ago on the list.  We
have also had some physical therapists on the list off and on over the years
who might recommend some exercises.  For me, I just stayed a little active
playing softball and concentrated on the stairmaster as my trips approach.
I've done no targeted back exercises.

Trailwise, my own personal, marginally scientific opinion is that my back is
more prone to hurt when I'm not properly hydrated.  That's probably true for
all of my joints, though.

Good luck in your rehab and preparations.

Take Care,

Tim