[at-l] food safety question

On Thursday, September 5, 2002, at 08:17 PM, Denise wrote:

> I'm heading out for a short overnight hike this weekend, and am
> trying to be creative w/ the food I bring!  I've never carried
> fresh food before .... and so I don't have much to go on.  A
> couple things I'm considering are meatless stuffed grape leaves
> (stuffed w/ rice, pine nuts, carrots and spices), a bit of
> hummous and tabbouleh,  (hmmm ... I see a theme developing!) and
> maybe a precooked lentil thing.  That covers 1 lunch, 1 dinner
> and maybe even breakfast. ;)  Since none of this stuff has meat
> or dairy in it, would it be ok to go un-refrigerated for maybe
> several hours before eating? <hoping, hoping!>  It'd all be
> freshly made right before I head out, if that makes a
> difference.  Thanks!

Gosh, Denise, I want to hike with you.   Or at least get your
recipes.  ;)

Given the ingredients, I'd say you're probably okay letting that
stuff go unrefrigerated.  If you're concerned, pack it next to
a cold water bottle or a frozen water bag, surrounded by insulating
type stuff.  (Sleeping bag, spare clothes.) (Um, in plastic so you
don't get that stuff wet.)

-amy