[at-l] North of Hot Springs

> This weekend I was at Hogback Ridge shelter, 5 miles north of Devil
> Fork Gap. There has been rain in this area and the spring at Hogback
> shelter was flowing nicely. I will go out on a limb and say that the
> springs south should be in similar condition, but you might want to
> call the folks at Bluff Mt Outfitters to be sure.

Definitely, as the water situation can vary drastically from one
watershed to the next.  Three weeks ago, all of the springs and
streams were flowing well in the Roaring Fork watershed near Max
Patch, but as soon as I got to the top of Walnut Mountain, there
was absolutely not a drop to be had anywhere.  There might be
water north of Camp Creek Bald, but there definitely wasn't any
south of there unless the rain in the last couple of weeks has
turned the springs back on again.

Check with Elmer, or with Bluff Mountain; either would know.

> The only water at Allen Gap was from a faucet pipe on the left of
> the store, as you stand facing the old store building.

Actually, if you head west into Tennessee on TN 70 about half a mile
or so, Paint Creek is flowing well, with gobs and gobs of water.  I
didn't discover this until I was already in the back of the pickup
truck that was fetching me out of there, or else I might have continued

my hike.

 -- Raccoon --
(thrilled to death to have had enough water this weekend in MA)

=====
Susan Davis <futabachan@yahoo.com>