[at-l] Off Trail, but Not Exactly Out of the Woods

Hi all -

I learned something over the weekend I thought worth sharing with
like-minded people.

I visited the Carolina Raptor Center, a facility north of Charlotte that
rehabilitates injured and orphaned birds of prey.  The work they do there is
wonderful, but that's not what I want to talk about.

Injuries to birds of prey (owls, hawks, eagles) are on the rise, and it's
mainly from these birds being hit by cars.  The birds, typically young and
still inexperienced with judging their flight paths, are flying into cars.
The bird usually loses.

The birds more and more sit by the side of the road looking for "little
animal" roadkill to swoop in to grab.

The little animals -- mice, chipmunks, raccoons, possums -- are drawn to the
roads because they're going after litter, items like apple cores and banana
peels, and even the sugar melting from the ice in a drink .  (Mice also like
the paper from cigarette butts to make their nests).

While I make it a point never to pitch paper goods out the window -- that's
a crime that should be punishable by death as far as I'm concerned --  I
have been known to hurl an apple core.  And though I like to think I hurl
the "biodegradable" items far enough away from the road, I'm probably don't.
(After teasting my "wingspan" against an eagle's I learned I was about two
feet short.)

The net of it was that I was shocked to learn that I've been part of the
problem that's drawing these magnificent birds to the roadside, in some
cases drawing them to their deaths.

I pass this along because, like me, maybe some of you thought it was ok to
pitch those biodegradable items out the car window.  Also, if you live near
the Carolina Raptor Center or have one in your state, go by to visit.  They
do good work.

Lynn