New packs was: [at-l] about fitting a pack

At 06:43 AM 8/31/02 -0400, Mara Factor wrote:

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>If at all possible, wait to buy your backpack until you've bought your other
>gear. Only then will you know how much volume you will need in your backpack
>and how much support you will need to carry the weight you expect to put in
>your pack.

I wish I could remember who said it but the phrase "develop some body memory"
stuck in my mind as it perfectly describes the process of  learning what
you will
like/need in a pack.  As Mara wisely says, the best way to develop that memory
is to beg, borrow or rent packs and take them for a spin.  It's amazing how
much
discomfort people will endure during a hike simply because they haven't tried
other options before they buy their first pack.  Once you have invested money,
it's harder to decide you want something different.

Beyond physical fit, there is the issue of pockets/no pockets.  External frame
packs usually have four or five pockets included in the design and therefore
adding extra weight.  Internal frame packs sometimes have pockets but
often not.  There are internals that offer optional add-on pockets but the
weight
of these accessories can add up!!!!

Do you need pockets?  Only time will tell. I usually ask a women to look at
her pocketbook.  If hr favorite style of pocket book has many compartments
and the women uses them "a place for everything and everything in it's place"
she might find she looks for the same organizational capacity in a pack.
A similar question asked of a man about his toolbox may also be an indicator.

Naturally, this isn't foolproof but it's a good indicator.  I can handle a
tremendous
amount of clutter in my home and some of you have seen the way I keep my car.
BUT...my "pocketbook" is a three compartment bellybag neatly organized.
I BARELY manage with two compartment in my daypacks, only
because I can't find a similarly lightweight style with more.  But as much
as I've tried to go with the ultra light packs, I just cannot handle the
lack of pockets.
I tried organizing things with silynylon stuff sacks but they all feel the same
in the dark.  I tried adding different textured stuff sack so I could ID
the mesh,
but whatever I needed, invariably, somehow ended up in the bottom of the
pack.  I "need" to know exactly where my filter is (left side-main pocket) or
to grab my foot powder in a flash (left bottom pocket).  Plus, it makes it
easier
for me to make sure I don't leave anything behind.

The only way to know if you will be like me is by hiking with various packs
cause
as I said, off trail, I am not this anal about putting things away in their
proper place.

YMMV as always