[at-l] about fitting a pack

--
hey all.  as i continue my search for the right pack i am getting concerned.
today i went and tried on a few.  the osprey luna 60, gregory reality X and
another gregory i cant remember.  well of course they were all xs, since i am
xs.  the osprey was not right at all.  the guy could fit his entire hand
between the pack and my back and the shoulder straps were too high.  the
forgotten gregory was okay but not really fitting either.  the reality X was
the best and lightest of them all.  however the hip belt was still a little
big.  when i had it tightened up the padding of the belt was almost touching.
 leaving no leeway for more tightening if needed.  the guy who happened to be
knowledgable and helpful thought it was too big.  i was wearing jeans at the
time.  but he was saying that if i lost any weight the hip belt would just
slide off.  it made sense to me.  aside from that the pack felt pretty good.
it is 3750 cu, in. and 4 lbd 4 oz.  i am not even sure i need that much
capacity.  which leads me to my next qyestion.  how many cu inches do you
really need?  i am thru hiking this year, just to remind you all.  i am so
small that i want nothing to do with extra anything.  but also do not want to
short change myself.  i need pack advice.  i am getting nervous that nothing
will be right.  i know i can get custom but it is so expensive that it is the
last place i want to turn.  also i am a sewer and pattern maker.  but i am
weary of making my own pack because i know nothing of the science of pack
support systems.  again due to my small size the support and weight
distribution is very important.  i was thinking on the way home that maybe i
could get the reality x and alter the hip belt my self.  what do you al
lthink.  all advice suggestis are welcome.  thanks a ton--regan--