Re[3]: [at-l] 241,000 arces of Maine Forest protected

I'm  still  sore, but things are looking up. I walked 3/4 of a mile today with a
measuring  wheel  to double check some distances on a remote beach that our town
land trust and the town jointly own.

Some people are claiming 912 feet to the ocean from the parking lot we built "is
too  far."  They  want  us  to  break  our easement that allows only handicapped
persons to drive closer.

None  of  this has much to do with the AT, so I'll mention that negotiations are
underway with ATC that would allow the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust to own
about  1,500  acres  of  fee  land needed to broaden the trail corridor south of
Nahmakanta.  The deal is part of the Nature Conservancy agreement to protect the
241,000 acres between Nahmakanta and Baxter State Park.

The deal would give us credibility -- but would also require that we raise quite
a sum of money quickly.

Weary