From: Raphael Bustin [mailto:rafe@oasissemi.com]
Sent: Friday, August 30, 2002 10:48 AM
To: at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [at-l] Tikka vs. Aurora Headlamps

--
At 09:26 AM 8/30/2002 -0500, Billie H. Cleek wrote:

>I bought a Princeton Tec Aurora not too long ago.  I got it for several
>reasons:
>
>1. It's a heck of a lot lighter than my older Princeton headlamp.
>2. Bulbs and batters last MUCH MUCH MUCH longer.
>3. It provides enough light for my usual purposes.  I still have the
>option of toting my heavier headlamp if I want..
>4. It pivots, which was important to me.
>
>I looked at a Petzl model, but it didn't pivot, so it was out.
>I also looked at a Black Diamond led headlamp, but didn't like the fact
>that it had wires running from the lamp to the battery pack on back.  I
>like the look of the Black Diamond, but the leds weren't really
>protected at all, and that was an additional concern.

I don't seem to miss the pivoting feature with the Petzl Tikka.
The Tikka has served me very well so far and seems to be very
efficient with battery use -- I still haven't replaced the first set
of batteries.

In any case, compared to the ancient incandescent-bulb
monster headlamp that I'd been using for the last umpteen
years, the Tikka is a nothing short of a miracle.

I keep a Photon light on my keychain now, as well.

PS: I wouldn't worry much about "protection" of the LEDs in
any case -- they're quite rugged.

rafe b.
aka terrapin
--