[at-l] 241,000 arces of Maine Forest protected

----- Original Message -----
From: "rick boudrie" <rickboudrie@hotmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2002 10:43 AM
Subject: Re: [at-l] 241,000 arces of Maine Forest protected
> I am just wondering to what extent the existance of the Trail and the ATC
> influences thier decisions (either one way or another) to protect lands in
> the Applachian corridor that may lay close to the AT.
>
> Rick B

I have been a Conservancy member for many years and I don't recall any
mention of the AT or ATC in their literature, not that I couln't have missed
it. They tend to be a "big picture" organization and pick up parcels in
critical areas where ever they can.  On thing I like about them is they tend
towards practicality vs. "puriity", in that they will work with groups such
as timber companies, Snowmobile users, ATV users, etc.( which some of us
sometimes consider "the enemy") to get a parcel saved from developement.

This Maine parcel is the third in recent months in the Northeast that makes
me very happy.

The first was the protection of 44,650 acres in North West NY (The Tug Hill
Plateau) (June 10 NY Times) and the second was A variety of parcels
including Sterling Forest and Pilot's Knob Ridge (Lake George) (Aug 11, NY
Times)

Another deal I just read about (in which the Conservancy was but a small
player) was about a large purchase and easment deal (I think 200,000 +
acres) in the Connecticut River headwaters area of NH.  Can't find that
article, but the deal was very similar to the Maine deal - part purchase,
part easement, continued timber harvesting.

Pb

(All flames to TA please)