[at-l] Shelter Shields

> I have done
> some checking and parachute material would be cheap, strong, and light.

3 things it seems you are not considering are

1) how are you going to attach it & are you going to be moving it from
shelter to shelter with you?

2) odds are you will be alone in the shelter.

3) the WIND!  Winter storms usually have VERY strong winds.  that light
weight material will be difficult to deal with

With the older shelters, in the Smokies, every yr people would bring
plastic, etc, and, tie it to the front.  Then usually leave it.  It helped
considerably.  except when the winds got really bad.

one thing you might want to consider....

Last yr (maybe two yrs ago) I went to Mnt. Leconte to spend a week on the
Smokies AT during Christmas.  It was 10 below that night!!!   I carried a
very small light weight bivy.   I set it up inside the shelter.  Helped
considerably with the cold.

I love winter hiking. I may do it again this yr.