[at-l] Shelter Shields

--
At 01:39 PM 8/28/2002 -0400, RnR wrote:

>--
>In a message dated 8/28/2002 1:18:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>guillermo_manzana@hotmail.com writes:
>

> > I realize folks need a way out of the shelter
> > at night and some air circulation would be a good thing. But I think
> > everyone would be most gratetful to have the shelter 20 degrees warmer!
> >

>      ***   I'm not trying to be smart, but if you are hiking in winter
>conditions where heat retention becomes a safety issue, you should probably
>bring a tent. If not, a tarp rigged across the opening is better than
>nothing. Your best protection will be a good winter sleeping bag...

FWIW...

Though not specifically on the AT (but not far from it)
the shelters at the base of Tuckermans Ravine have
their open sides covered with plywood during the winter
months.

I doubt if most folks would object to manzana's proposed
"shields," but I suppose that he would be obliged to
respect any such objections that might be expressed.

If manzana is freezing his *&^% off and there's someone
else in the shelter that wants no shield, then manzana
needs to find another way to keep his *&^% protected.

rafe b.
aka terrapin
--

---