[at-l] Whitetop elevation

this sparks one of my favorite "technical" AT high point questions:
Since the AT no longer goes right up to the base of the observation
tower at Clingman's Dome, is CD really the highest point on the Trail
anymore?  It looks to me like the treadway is a good ways down from CD's
high point . . .

hmm - something else to ponder as you reflect on the fact that years
back on yer thru-hike you got out of that hitched ride car on the other
side of the road from where you earlier got in for the ride in to town,
thus confirming that ya missed a good 30-50 feet of actual AT route! :)

heh-heh-heh!

thru-thinker