[at-l] Dude, The Rash - intro

Hi,

Just joined the list today. I live in New Hampshire with my lovely bride an=
d 3 kids. In the past I hiked alone, but last year we started to hike as a =
family. We are mostly on easy to moderate trails as my youngest is only 7, =
but he's doing quite well with the moderates. Usually I remain in the backg=
round unless I can contribute to the conversation.

With the rash issue, which I'm quite susceptible to, I find that the follow=
ing works quite well.

Prevention: Dust potential chafing areas with Gold Bond powder when getting=
 dressed to keep dry and friction-free. Use shorts of supplex or cool-max o=
r other such material. Use boxers shorts, the elastic band in the underwear=
 tend to cause friction in your inner thigh. I have also omitted the boxer/=
underwear and used oversize cotton shorts. When I had a more aggravated cas=
e, I even cut the bottom of the shorts to create a dress/kilt. Very breezy =
<vbg>, it was actually quite free. I have also been successfully using libe=
ral applications of petroleum jelly to make the skin surfaces slippery. Vas=
eline all over your toes & feet inside your sock liners is a goopy but effe=
ctive way of preventing blisters also.

First aid: Clean and dry and reduce friction again... the Gold Bond powder =
is great for this, too. I personally find Desenex and zinc oxide-based oint=
ments too thick and stiff, not to mention messy. A&D ointment, however, is =
in a lighter petroleum jelly base and the vits in it help heal irritated sk=
in fast. DO NOT put powder on with petroleum jelly-- you get wadded up scra=
tchy blobs that will just make things worse.

Denis Couture