Re[2]: [at-l] Re: help me with my gear list - please

> Most  modern  household detergents no long contain much
> phosphorus...
>
> But  I  carry  a small sliver of Ivory Soap...
>
> I  usually  make  do with a water bottle full at least 100 feet
> from a stream. I pour  out  just  enough to work up a lather
> and use the balance for rinsing. Not ideal, but it works and
> feels refreshing after a long hot day.

In any case, Ivory contains no phosphates.  Ivory bar soap is made from
animal fat, coconut oil, palm kernel oil, and less than ? of 1% of magnesium
sulfate and sodium silicate as whitening agents.

For quite a while I have used either a Solar Shower or, more recently a 4L
Platy bag with a shower attachment.  With 4L of water, and a little soap on
a sponge I can get every bit as clean as I could in a 'real' shower, and it
is my usual habit in the back country to shower every day when water is
available.  I figure it takes less than four grams of soap to get clean.  In
places where I frequently camp, and frequently shower, there isn't any
noticeable impact from the ivory.

Many years ago, before learning better, we used to 'shower' directly in the
river, and the fish in the pool below the falls didn't seem to mind the
suds.  Of course, I would never do that now...

Shane