[at-l] Re: help me with my gear list - please

> "don't  need  soap.  don't  need  large fuel bottle, for
> the AT you won't need a compass,"

I did have the need to use a compass on my northbound
thru-hike in Year 2000. After getting snowbound in Maine,
the other hikers I was with and I had to make our way at
right angles to the Trail since we were running out food
and of fuel (to heat the hot water bottles at night so we
didn't freeze). We heard some kind of noise and used the
compass to figure out where on the map the noise was coming
from -- turns out it was in the same direction that the
closest civilization was located (what we gauged at the
time to be 20 miles away from where we were at when
interpolating map info). So we headed for the noise and
later ran into a logging crew that had just started back up
again after the blizzard stopped. I suppose we could have
done the same directional thing with the location of the
sun the sky but...there wasn't any view of the sky for
three days. It all worked out though...I'm just glad one of
the guys I was hiking with had a compass in his pack. He
also had a thermometer -- I'm not sure it was a good idea
to have discovered how cold the temps were getting but
knowing the temperature did motivate me to head out with
the other guys to find civilization rather than continuing
up the Trail that day.

As far as soap, I did keep a small bar of soap with me on
my thru-hike (or in some cases liquid soap in a seam sealed
package -- thanks Karen -- I learned not to eat the liquid
soap after Karen starting writing, "Do Not Eat" on the
sealed package, Ha) but I used Purell frequently since it
kills viruses as well as bacteria. I used soap mostly when
I was in town and used the Purell when I was on the Trail.

Datto