[at-l] goretex bivy

On Saturday, August 24, 2002, at 06:23 PM, Patti wrote:

> --
> I have some questions for folks using the goretex bivy.  If you choose
> to carry a cagoule or rain jacket and pants rather than a poncho to be
> used as a tarp cover, how do you deal with the rain and getting in and
> out of the bivy?  Also, do you pack the bivy and your sleeping bag
> separate in your backpack or do you roll it all up together and stuff
> it in your backpack?  Any other neat little things I should know before
> I give this goretex bivy a test run?

Hi Patti,

Me, I wouldn't go out with a bivy without a poncho or small tarp for the
vary
reason you mention.  You can get a small silnylon tarp that doesn't weigh
very much.

I pack my bag and my bivy separately because I want to air out my
bag a little and make sure everything is dry.  (Or as dry as I can get
it.)
If it's sopping wet out I want my bag deep in my pack, and my bivy on
the outside where it can't get everything else wet.

Have you considered what you're going to do with your gear?  I bring
a pack cover and put everything but my water bottles in it, then cinch
it up and leave it hole side down on the ground, or hang it from a tree.
If I'm going to be hanging around a while I make a backrest out of it
under my tarp/poncho.  I don't like to grind it into the dirt so I bring
a spare hefty bag to put under my stuff.  I also like having a bit
of it under the top of my bivy so I can put stuff next to my head
(like my water or the clothes I'm changing into) without it getting too
dirty.

Last thing is that you might want to bring a stuff sack in with you to
hold
little stuff.  I lost my flashlight in there one night.  :)

-amy