[at-l] (no subject)

--
At 10:49 AM 8/24/2002 +0200, you wrote:

>hi My name is Alice . I am looking to thru hike in 2004 south - north any
>suggestions for someone who has never really hiked anywhere?????

Start with the ATC's website.  Join the ATC.  Scrounge the
web for hiker journals and read them.  Hang around here
on AT-L and just listen in and/or ask questions.  You'll
need to ask somewhat more specific questions before we
can offer more specific answers.

Or check your public library or favorite bookstore for books
about hiking or by hikers... Colin Fletcher is a perennial
favorite, though not AT-specific.

Practice the art of hiking.  Doesn't matter how long or
difficult the hike is, the important thing is being outdoors
in the woods, covering some distance, and learning from
the experience.

rafe b.
aka terrapin
--