[at-l] RE: Re[2]: [TA] My Wilderness Experience

> >> What is the ATC's view on cell phones?  Do they
> >> have one?
>
> > Other things are beyond the conference's control
> > or influence.
>
> Well, I appreciate that; but I was wondering if they ever
> actually said anything about them at all.
>
> Shane

Many of the ATC policies are on their web site at
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/protect/policies/index.html however these
relate mostly to the physical trail and not to the behaviour of people on
it.

The issue of cell phones on the Trail has been discussed by the Board of
Managers but I am not aware of any codification of those discussions. I
doubt if they would try to codify behaviors, more likely relegate such
materials to education efforts to try to shape behavior without legislating
it.

As a Board Member, I oppose cell phones at most opportunities if the
discussion comes up. I would not oppose ridgerunners having one if a park
radio is not avaiable. I don't own one and don't want one (but I admit it
would have been more conveniet to have had one on several occasions) and I
am sure others wish I had one so they could reach me when I deliberately do
not want to be reached.