[at-l] need AT information

Welcome to our list. As the AT extends from Georgia to Maine, we might be
able to advise you of favorite scenic route for a weekend based on where
you are now or where you plan to travel to. It sounds as if you are
planning a weekend trip in the immediate future (Labor Day weekend maybe?)
and that can help you determine shelters, clothing and other necessities.
It might also be a good idea to tell us a bit about yourself and your
experience in backpacking and hiking. For instance, you might not want to
plan on 15 mile days in the Whites if you just heard about hiking. Then,
few folks would consider 15 mile days in that region. There is a
semi-planned activity over Labor Day weekend called HATT, in which many of
us will be hiking sections of the AT in tandem.

As there is drought in most of the eastern US, the amount of water you
choose to carry is worth considering. As water weighs in at 8 pounds for a
gallon, you will need to learn how to gather water from springs and streams
and treat it. You could spend a great deal of money on a tent, but REI can
let you rent one, rent a back pack and save some money for other gear -
such as water containers, filters, maps and the like. Depending on where
you are, you might want to go with a cheap $20 fleece sleeping bag for fair
weather camping, rather than struggle with all of the choices of bags and
prices.

Most REI's around here carry the maps and guidebooks for sections of the AT
nearby. This is very handy, but try to avoid letting a store clerk load up
your credit card and back with heavy gear _they_ consider essential and
lightweight.

Have a seat by our cyber campfire and I'm sure someone will toss a
smashmellow your way.

OrangeBug