[at-l] ~ Questions~

> I have a few questions.....I was wondering for
> those that started in April :

I started my northbound AT thru-hike on April 10, 2000.

> 1)  did you bring long underwear and if so did you get
> the expedition weight or the mid-weight?

Yes, I brought long underwear (and needed it) -- it was the
stylish polypropelene long-johns from Wal-mart ($9.95).
Those don't really have a weight to them but they were
rather lightweight.

> 2)  What type of hat did you need?

I brought a fleece balaclava and a Ball State University
baseball hat.

> 3)  What kind of gloves?

I brought fleece gloves but for me, they were pretty much
worthless during cold weather once they got wet. I ended up
buying several pair of different types of gloves along the
way and finally found a pair in Maine that actually
provided warmth when they were wet (bright orange too which
went so well with my green rain jacket). I did have a pair
of very good gloves back in Indiana but couldn't remember
what box they were in so I ended up having to buy and try
several pair along the Trail.

> 4)  What did you wear for pants?

Pants???

Just kidding. I wore cheap nylon pants.
http://friends.backcountry.net/datto/pers/at2k0412.htm

> 5)   I have a down parka or should I go with a fleece and
> my Lowe Alpine rain jacket?

Fleece and rain jacket unless you have an insulated jacket
that has an insulation type that will still provide warmth
when it's wet -- Primaloft insulation for instance or
Polarguard 3D (jacket rather than a parka -- to save
weight). The down parka will likely get soaked and just be
dead weight.

> 6)  How many liner socks did you bring and how many outer
> socks did you bring?

I always carried two pairs of Wigwam Coolmax liner socks
and two pairs of regular hiking socks (either Smartwool
Expedition Trekking socks or Thorlo Hiker socks).

> 7)  Do I need a Balaclava like people tell me I do?

Yeah, bring it and wear it when you're in your sleeping bag
at night to keep your head warm during cold weather.

> 8)  What did you wear on an average day in April
>      a)  on the trail

Swim trunks over long-johns with a short sleeve Duofold
Coolmax t-shirt while hiking and generating heat. If it was
real cold during the day I wore a fleece pullover while
hiking. If it was raining I wore my rain jacket on top of
the usual attire mentioned above.

>      b)  at night at camp

My Patagonia Puffball insulated jacket (Polarguard 3D
insulation) overtop of whatever I hiked in during the day,
plus I usually wore the cheap nylon pants while in camp for
more warmth (worn overtop of my swimtrunks and polypro
longjohns).

>      c)  in the sleeping bag

Same thing as in camp -- I just hopped into my sleeping bag
wearing whatever I was wearing in camp after removing my
boots.

> 9)  I have a 15 degree Sandman sleeping bag,  will that
> be warm enough?

Probably. Wear your clothes and your rainjacket inside your
sleeping bag if you get too cold. If it gets too cold for
even that, then you'll likely be heading to town anyhow to
wait until it gets warmer. Take a mylar sleeping bag for an
emergency sleeping bag -- I did and used it. You might say
it kept my begonias from bein' done froze off in Maine when
I got snowbound for a few days.

> 10)  Do I need Windstopper fleece?

I wouldn't say you'd 'need' it in camp but if you have the
extra money it would help, particularly in the northern
states where your body has lost all the fat layer and the
wind seems to cut more.

Datto