[at-l] ~ Questions ~ Round # 2

Welcome again. Your questions are excellent, but are coming in faster
than a politician's promises.

If you haven't found the ATC's website (Appalachian Trail Conference),
go head over there now to get some of these answered and ask further
about what doesn't make sense. There is no gold standard "Right Way" to
do this, although there are a few experts and Centers willing to claim
otherwise. There is an excellent essay series - The Thruhiker's Papers
- written by Jim of our list. He deals with a few questions you haven't
anticipated yet!

But to try two of your questions: Remember that 100 oz = ~3/4 gallon or
about 6 pounds. Sometimes in severe dry spells, that is almost enough.
Usually that is about2-4 pounds more than enough. That might be perfect
for the last water bottle at the end of the day for cooking and
hygiene. I know many of us who use old soda bottles (litter) for water
bottles. Also there are many ways of treating water, as well as those
who do not. There is a great deal of marketing behind some of the
products you will hear about. If you treat your water, plan on
something easy and consistently completed for you.

Bill...