[at-l] Sanibel Information

--

   The island is kind of gentrified because it's a high rent resort/winter
home type area. There's one campground on the island near the causeway at the
mainland end. It isn't a spread out national park type campground. It's
compact and near some year-round trailer type homes within the campground. It
doesn't really matter because the atmosphere is tropical island and you'll be
spending most of your time in the many beauty spots on the island.

     Sites are drive-in types surrounding a duck pond. The owner has a fair
sized menagerie with exotic tropical birds, lemurs, a few monkeys and other
exotics. The parrots are my pals and worth trying to get to talk (they do).
The cost is $27 a night car or tent. Believe it or not that is reasonable for
Sanibel where condos go for $1600 a week +.  I'll post the number if anybody
wants it.

     ***   Special Notice Please Read   ***

     This is prime hurricane season in Florida. If you are coming here be
aware of potential cyclone activity and prepare for response. If you have
camping gear you are ahead of the game as far as preparedness. This island is
extremely exposed and has one causeway off. If a warning goes up -trust me-
get out early because it is a few feet above sea level and will flood with
surge long before it gets serious.

     Otherwise I'll be glad to help anyone needing local information. I would
offer a few yard spots, but you will see that it's obviously against the
community rules as it is kind of crusty...

     -  R&R