From: Orange Bug [mailto:orangebug74@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 10:31 PM
To: KellyGoVols@aol.com
Cc: at-l@backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [at-l] RE: black bear attack in NY

Actually, bears are able to learn and impart knowledge of where good
food is, and where to avoid hazards. The efforts to frighten nuisance
bears and get them phobic of human scent (including human food) are
pretty well documented and accepted. You might want to spend some time
with the rangers in the Smokies and learn of their mostly successful
efforts to get bears out of the tourist attraction business. Bears are
clever, but just not real smart. (They share that trait with Tennessee
fans who confuse orange with yellow.)

The effort is not to teach them to avoid killing humans. Rather, the
goal is to teach them to avoid humans at all costs. If a bear loses
it's innate distrust/avoidance of people, the bear becomes a hazard
that might learn to develop a taste for bipeds. I understand that it
tastes just like chicken.

Bill...