I ain't offended (was) RE: [at-l] Re: Southern Ridicule

I don't think it's demeaning and I'm Southern born and bread.  My family on
both sides go way back in South Carolina.  Some were here before there was a
Lancaster County, SC (named by Penn. settlers for the Lancaster, PA, area);
that'd be around the early 1700s -- except for those who were natives.  And
the Johnnies-come-lately of my family tree came to SC in the 1830s.  I was
not shocked on seeing an outhouse on the AT. I just missed the Sears &
Roebuck that every outhouse ought to have like Memaw's had.  Plus I know
where Mt. Dew got its name, and it ain't from no soft homemade drink --
homemade, Yes; soft, No.  And I know the real origin and meaning behind
"redneck". And I've had cathead biscuits and possum and 'coon for supper --
din'nah (drawl it out) is the meal y'all non-Southerners call Lunch.  And
I've raided tires for catfish.

I've never heard a real Southerner complain about such jokes; especially if
they originated with fellow Southerners.  Ever hear of Hee-Haw?  Or Andy
Griffith (sp?)?  Hee Haw was mainly staffed and run by Southerners -- even
if some had families who fought for the NORTH. ;-)  And Andy was from North
Carolina -- you ought to hear his early commedy records.

Southerners like Southern humor like blacks like black commedians.  Someone
from your own culture knows what you've been through and can make fun of it
because they "know".  And we're so accomodating and hospitable that we'll
put up with some friendly non-Southerners making jokes.

About the only Southerners I've heard complain are those who try to get too
big for their britches, and those who are transplanted Southerners, i.e.,
former Yankees. :-)  Of course if we hear a Northern accent or hear a sneer
in the voice of a joker, we might hanker for a long pig bobby-q.  Oops! I've
jest been PIC to a former friend -- only former since they moved back to the
Pacific where they use to have long pig bobby-qs.

William, The Southern Born & Bread Turtle
	-- Cornbread that is --
	-- Goes good with buttermilk or clabbered milk --