From: saunterer@jimbullard.org [mailto:saunterer@jimbullard.org]
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 1:42 PM
To: at-l@backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [at-l] black bear attack in NY

At 09:02 AM 08/20/2002 -0500, Phil Heffington wrote:
>My wife just heard something on the news about a black bear killing a baby
>in NY.  Anyone know the details?

A couple of people have posted links to the news story.  According to the
local radio reports in my area (North of the Adirondacks) it happened in
the Catskills.  Apparently a young bear came into a camp and tipped over
the stroller the baby was in.  The baby fell out, the bear took the baby in
it's mouth and headed back into the woods.  Several people from the camp
chased the bear throwing stones and shouting.  The bear dropped the baby
but it died from the injuries.  Authorities shot the bear and tested it for
rabies.  The test was negative.  Speculation is that bears in the area are
accustomed to scrounging garbage pails etc. for food and may have mistaken
the stroller as such a source of food.  It was an extremely unusual
incident.

sAunTerer