[at-l] Gossamer and Bustin

--
At 09:39 AM 8/20/2002 -0400, sAunTerer wrote:

[re: Eureka Gossamer tent]

>I was at the Eureka Outlet in Binghamton last Saturday and they had one of
>these for $59.95 (factory second).  I thought about it but wondered where
>I'd put my pack and how well it would hold up.  I could deal with the pack
>by leaving it outside with a pack cover.  It really holds up well, does
>it?  2# 8oz sounds good.

This is a small tent, no doubt about it.

I generally hang my pack on a nearby tree with the pack
cover on.  No way the pack will fit in the tent.

Boots go in the tent, or I place them just outside,
under the tent fly, protected from rain.

There are plenty of larger tents that are just a bit
heavier.  But if one considers ONLY the weight,
I have not seen any tent, of any size, that's lighter
than this one.  Next step down (in weight) would be
a bivy, I suppose.

I've replaced the standard tent stakes with some
aluminum ones from REI.

It has weathered many storms (rain and ice) and
1200+ miles of AT, and has never let me down.
(Famous last words.... <g>)

rafe b.
aka terrapin
--