Digital Question (Ofoto) was Re: [at-l] Quick Gear Report

--
At 06:31 PM 8/19/2002 -0700, you wrote:

>My 2 cents...
>
>Why "convert" to photo?  And why upload?
>Just install another 20GB cheap IDE drive dedicated for backup, copy all to
>that, and use a (very reasonably priced these days) color inkjet to print
>them.

Costs for media (ink and paper) can be significant, unless you
have a "continuous ink" system (available for some Epson models.)

Photo paper is hard to find for less than $0.40 or so for a letter-
sized sheet.  If you're buying ink in the form of Epson carts, the
ink to cover this sheet will cost another $1.00, more or less.

Finally, there's the issue of image longevity.  The Epson C80 and
2200 use pigment inks and will produce very fade-resistant images,
but most inkjets are still using dye inks, which will fade rapidly if
not properly stored and displayed.  For longevity and gamut, it's
still hard to beat conventional photo paper.

Having said all that, I do a lot of printing of photos on my two
Epson 1160s...

rafe b.
aka terrapin
--