Digital Question (Ofoto) was Re: [at-l] Quick Gear Report

--
At 09:02 PM 8/19/2002 -0400, you wrote:

>>This is a 4 Megapixel digicam; I was saving images in "RAW" mode at >full
>>resolution.  I got 180 images onto a 512M CF card, and another 20 >or so
>>on a 256M card from work.
>
>Do you digital experts have any suggestions as to where might be the best
>(price/quality/extras) place to have .jpegs converted to 4" x 6" photos?
>
>I just sent 50 images to Ofoto.com because I remembered the name from
>somewhere and it had a Kodak connection.  The .49 per shot cost seemed
>reasonable, but I am most concerned about quality.  I also liked the idea
>of storing a copy of all my shots on thier computer (2 hours to upload 50
>shots) as a back up of my back up that won't get lost.
>
>What do you all think of Ofoto and or other similar services?

Sorry, I don't use any of them, I do all my own photo printing on
my Epson(s) at home.  I use Photoshop (generally) to prepare
the photos for printing -- though the pix from the Canon needed
little or no work, other than the panoramics that I "assembled."

The G2 is my first digital camera.  Up 'till now I've been scanning
film from conventional 35 mm and 645 cameras.

It's my understanding that many (most?) half-decent photo labs
these days will print photos directly from most standard digicam
media formats (eg Compact Flash.)

As to quality... it will depend largely on the degree of JPG
compression that was used to store the image, and of course
the starting resolution (ie., megapixels.)

There are also a number of reasonably-priced "photo" (inkjet)
printers these days that will print directly from CF or SmartMedia
cards.  For example, Epson 785 EPX, Canon S820D, etc.  The
image quality from the newest Epsons and Canons is very impressive.

At 49 cents per photo, however, you may be better off letting a lab
do the work...

rafe b.
aka terrapin
--