From: William Neal [mailto:nealb@midlandstech.com]
Sent: Monday, August 19, 2002 1:46 PM
To: Rich, Timothy D.; AT-Mailing list (E-mail)
Subject: RE: [at-l] Southern Guidance

The first time I heard the first was from a Yankee.  You shur y'all
Southern?  You shur y'all not living someplace like Florida who've been
losing their accents since the 1920s?

I remember visiting my cousins down in Florida years ago.  Both sides of the
family are deep-dyed Southern.  Mama's family (she was their great-aunt)
have lived in Lancaster county, SC since before it was an official county.
But all my cousins (I kept wishing they were kissing cousins) spoke with
Northern accent.  And I use to be bad about picking up accents when I went
anywhere.  When I got back, I'd sound like a d*** Yankee! ;-/

But Southerners are known for shortening anything that keeps them from their
vittals.  One of my cousins from SC was a Baptist minister, we always asked
him to say the blessing. "God bless this food and this family. Amen."  We
finally got him to shorten it to "God bless this food. Amen."

William, The Southern Bread Turtle