[at-l] Back from the Woods

--

Back from my AT section hike thru Vermont.  I'd planned to
go from Hanover to Williamstown, but bailed in Bennington,
18 miles shy of my target.  No matter - will make that stretch
up some time soon when the weather returns to something
tolerable.  There was a nice motel with a pool there, and
it seemed a fitting end to ten hot days on the Trail.

Did I mention it was hot?  I sweated buckets, but it was a good
trip nonetheless.  The woods are full of NOBO thru-hikers, tho
about six or eight SOBOs passed me during the ten days or
so that I was out walking.  I'm guessing there will be a banner
crop of AT finishers this year.

Must say the views from the trail in VT aren't much to write
home about, except maybe from the firetowers atop Stratton
and Glastonbury Mtn., and the Lookout Cabin up near
Wintturi Shelter.  I had Goddard Shelter all to myself on
Tuesday night, watching the heat lightning and listening to
the thunder... but not a drop of rain.

The Long Trail Ale at the Inn (Sherburne Pass) was a
delight.  As was the stay at Sutton's place in Manchester,
and the skinny-dippin' at Little Rock Pond and Stratton
Pond.  Many hikers atop Bromley last Saturday night
watching the meteor shower.  Good company at several
of the campsites -- Clarendon Shelter and Griffith Lake
come to mind, in particular.

Many thanks to "The Trail Gnome" and to "Pedro and
Pickle" for unexpected cold sodas.  Nice touch.

Trail journal and photos to follow, though it may be a few
days...  the real world is about to kick my butt, but hard.

rafe b.
aka terrapin
--

---