[at-l] Need Advice - Maine Hotels/Hostels

--
> Caratunk

I stayed with Steve Longely -the "ferryman"  Great guy, and a nice spot.
He's off the trail so you have to contact him by phone - I used the one at
the little eatery on the highway.   He'll come pick you up.  There's also a
B&B near the trail, and I hear it's very nice.  Don't know the name.

 You'll probably talk to Steve when he rows you across the Kennebec :O)
 He's just North on Rt 201 from the AT, has tent sites and cabins, a really
well stocked store, will shuttle, *no* slackpacking. The only hostel-type
thing in town is the Caratunk House now that the Dew Drop Inn has closed. CH
has accommodations from hostel-like bunk house to nice private rooms. The
owners of the Caratunk House now also own the 'Moose Crossing' lunch wagon
(Pizza, Subs, Ice Cream, Sandwiches etc, closed Tues, takes ph. in orders)
 Check the Companion listing, (www.aldha.org) but note these changes: There's
a new pay phone at the PO (.2 miles up Main Street from the CH) no lunch menu
at the CH, change the 'shuttles for a fee' to 'local shuttles free, distance
for a fee'.
 Steve the Ferryman or Caratunk House, very different, both excellent.
TJ