[at-l] Re:Privy, Trail Corridor

Privy, Privys, Privy's.  A moldering privy (Laurel Ridge, Hemlocks,
and Upper Goose Pond Cabin in Mass) uses a shallow, ventilated timber
box (around 12" deep) under the privy itself to hold the waste.  The
waste lies directly on the ground.  The box is built with two
chambers, each the size of the privy's footprint.  One one box is
full, the privy is slid over to the other chamber, while the full one
is digested.  A cover is placed over the open chamber to keep out
rain, critters and people

A composting privy, seen in the white Mtns and Vermont, has a deeper
chamber below the privy (around 4ft), and the digesting process is
monitored closely and aided by the efforts of the caretaker.

Except for periodic shifting (once or twice a year) of the privy, and
occasional stirring, the moldering privy works w/out intervention.

The digesting process is similar, liquid and solid waste are
separated (pee in the woods, poop in the privy).  In high use areas,
we have a two holer, with the liquid waste piped into a dry well
filled w/ coal chunks.

After each use (solid waste) the privy is "flushed" with a hand full
of bark chips or forest duff.  This keeps the waste from compacting,
introduces bacteria and absorbs excess moisture.  Aerobic bacteria
eat and live in the waste, raising it's temperature.  Red worms are
sometime introduced to help speed the digestion cycle.  In a
moldering privy, the process happens in the shallow chamber w/o
further assistance.  In a composting privy, once the internal
temperature of the waste reaches 140 degrees, it is removed and
spread on frames to dry out further, and more bark chips are added to
speed this process.  The dried compost is then sifted out of the bark
chips and spread in the woods or carried out.  In the moldering
model, the compost is shoveled outs of the rested chamber and
scattered in the wood before the privy is slid back over.

The moldering model works well where there is relatively thick, rich
soil and a moderate amount of use.  The composting variety is used on
stony soils and in high use areas.  It requires a certain level of
management and a supply of bark chips.

Surprisingly, if the solid waste is kept relatively dry, the smell is
not terribly offensive.  I'm sure we've all used conventional pit
privys that are eye-wateringly, keep the door open bad, but I have
yet to encounter a moldering/composting unit that was more than
mildly offensive.   For a complete discussion of backcountry
sanitation go to:
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/protect/steward/sanman.html

It should be noted that in Mass anyway, neither of these privy
designs meets any local or state health codes, so we don't talk about
it.  Loose lips sink....

Trail Corridor:
NPS lands purchased by the Park Service generally try to create a
1000ft corridor.  This varies considerably depending on the available
property.  Scenic Easements are sometimes used to widen the visual
corridor.

Where the trail travels through Mass state forests and parks, we have
the following system:  Primary Zone, 200ft to either side of the
footpath where the property is managed with the trail as it's primary
feature (no new roads, structures etc.).  Secondary Zone, 300 ft
beyond the primary zone on each side (now we have a 1000 ft corridor)
where all parties discuss and coordinate proposed uses in the zone.

Widowmaker, a dead branch or tree.  Always check for them before
choosing a campsite or lunch spot or bear bag site.

Cosmo

Cosmo Catalano
AMC Berkshire Chapter
Massachusetts Appalachian Trail Committee
http://friends.backcountry.net/MassAT/ATCommHome.html