From: <RoksnRoots@aol.com>
To: <AT-L@backcountry.net>
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2002 11:05 PM
Subject: [at-l] Widow maker

--

From: RoksnRoots@aol.com
Full-name: RoksnRoots
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 23:04:58 EDT
Subject: Widow maker
To: landis@epix.net

--
While going into Beechy Bottom in Harriman on an access trail I saw a large
dead tree fall in a strong wind a few yards from the AT. The noise is a
tremendous cracking of branches and wisping branch sound followed by a huge
BOOM! Your first thought is thank God I wasn't under that. The moral is it
is
more likely to happen on windy days or during saturating rains.

     If you were standing on the Beechy Bottom Brook Bridge during hurricane
Floyd you would have been crushed along with the bridge by an over 2 foot
diameter oak...

       Yes, when a tree falls in the woods it makes a sound.