[at-l] Considerations.

Though I am a chemist, I do work in a microbiology lab.  The best thing to =
use is soap and water.  It takes surprisingly little water to wash ones han=
ds, real only a few drops.  One can rinse with about one cup.  The hands wi=
ll be relatively clean.  The second choice would be just plain water.  Bact=
eria really do not adhere to the skina nd they can be readily washed off th=
e skin with just plain old water.  The real bad place for bacteria is under=
 the finger nails.  Keep the nails cut short and clean under them daily.

Most illness (of the intstional variety) are caused by two things; improper=
ly rinsed cooking ware, plates etc (soap is a good laxative) or drinking of=
 bad water.  A tail to relate.  A certain scout camp was having a number of=
 scoutings coming down with the Aztec Two Step.  As this occured on the tra=
il the powers to be decided that plates were not properly sanitized and the=
 camp set up a three step wash program (as opposed to the Aztec Two Step pr=
ogram.  The number of scouts sick remained constant.  Finally someone sugge=
st that a stream in the camp be tested.  Everyone said the stream could not=
 be the problem as it had been pure for years and no one ever got sick from=
 drinking the water.  To get to the punch line all water from said stream h=
as to be filtered.

OK so what do I do?  I carry baby wipes, a great way to clean one's hands. =
 A little tough though as they are not biodegradiable and have to be carrie=
d out.  On short trips (2,3 days) they are realy great.

Grey Owl