[at-l] Scouting and can stoves (was Pepsi can alcohol stoves for sale)

Up until now, I haven't met a Scoutmaster that wasn't interested in
lightweight stoves.  I have, however, met many Scoutmasters that worry about
their safety and/or durability (no visible flames, hot surfaces, easily
crushed).  I worry too but we teach the boys how to use the stoves (and how
not to use them) and to be careful using them.  In three years that I've
been involved I've made about 40 cat food can-type stoves and no one has
been burned yet.  I tell them OBs story every once and a while too.  :-)

As for new Scouts and stoves - my Troop and most every Troop in the Atlanta
Area Council restrict usage of pressurized stoves to either 13 yr-olds or
older or Star Scouts or older.  My Troop has both.  You have to be at least
13 *and* a Star Scout to use a pressurized stove.  There is no hardship for
the new Scouts - they use the alcohol stoves I make for them and the fuel I
provide for them.

If this Scoutmaster is selling 11 yr-olds pressurized stoves then I think
he's being irresponsible.  If he is preventing them from using alcohol
stoves so he can sell them pressurized stoves then, in my opinion, he needs
to stop being a Scoutmaster because he's putting his needs above those of
his Scouts.  I hope his reluctance to use alcohol stoves is based on some
reasonable excuse.

Charles