[at-l] Jan Day Nine

Clyde has put his finger on it this morning:

"What I like about this Trail is not having to get up and go to work."

Yah, I knew it was something like that.

This is new ground for me too. This is the longest I've ever been on a
long-distance hike. Seventy-seven miles down, 193 to go. Today, Clyde
sez, we walk off the third page of the Long Trail map. He wants a
page-burning ceremony.

Tomorrow, says Clyde, "will be the longest I've ever gone without
working." He's just offered me a deal: "You carry my pack this month,
I'll carry your pack next month."

That Clyde, what a clever guy.

The Jan and Clyde show is back. We perform a little for the benefit of
our sheltermates, Newsman and Excalibur.

"Jan?" Clyde calls out this morning.

"Yes darlin'?"I answer.

"Be glad it's not raining today and you don't have to follow me holding
that little umbrella over my head."

I never know what will come out of this man's mouth. I attempt to rise to
the improv,
though it IS rather early, before 6:30 am..

"It's not even the fanning and grape-feeding that goes along with it
that I mind so much," I reply, rapidly searching the mental data
banks.

Oh yeah: "It's the damn PEELING of the little bleeders that gets in the
way."

Well, likely it's its one of those routines best experienced in the
moment, but we brought the shelter down, yuk, yuk.

It's good to have my partner back. We worked out the slight differences
in our hiking styles to both our satisfaction, and all is copasthetic,
(copethesthetic?), aaww, it's cool, all cool.

Tonite our goal is Minerva-Hinchey shelter.