[at-l] choosing a bag

I'd like to know the reasons you are sold on synthetic filled sleeping
bags, given your need for a smaller backpack and lighter weight load.
Down will compress much better, weighs less and is more durable.

After reading your note, I perused my Campmor 2002 Fall catalogue, just
arrived in the mail.

There are several options, but I'd be really careful with optimistic
temperature ratings are. A sleeping bag can be a lifesaver when
blizzards blow through North Carolina in March. It can also augment a
bivy as a lightweight and convenient body bag if the temperatures were
too severe. ;-)

Sythetic: Kelty Clear Creek small fits 5'4" 3lbs 2oz 20F $49.97 TNF Cat
Walk Reg (women's) 5'6" 2 lbs 1 oz 20F $169.00 Slumberjack Equinox short
5'5" 2 lbs 11 oz 15F $89.99 Sluberjack Superpacker 20 short 5'5" 2lbs.
10 oz 20F $69.99 Slumberjack Aurora Short 5'5" 3lbs 8oz 15F $45.99 SJ
Black River mummy 5'5" 3 lbs 8 oz 25F $34.99

Down: Campmor 20* mummy reg fits 6' 2lbs 4 oz. 20F $109.97 Slumberjack
Conundrum Short 5'5" 2lbs 8 oz. 20F $139.99

There are probably others, and you might find it reasonable to consider
a longer bag with alterations to the bag for your length and degree of
cold tolerance.

I'd be very careful about going cheap, as sleeping bags often represent
price/value consistency. Children's bags often are poorly considered
with cotton liners. I like the philosophy of the Tappet Brothers: "He
who goes cheap goes broke quickest." This is not always true as
witnessed by cooking gear and backpacks.

The backpack is probably the most important purchase behind your boots.
I'd suggest you wait until frost is on the pumpkin near your home, and
rent or borrow a few. I'd also encourage you to contact folks like
Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends regarding down bags that
might be custom made or altered.

Bill....:p :p