  From: DTimm65344@aol.com [mailto:DTimm65344@aol.com]
  Sent: Thursday, August 08, 2002 8:16 PM
  To: futabachan@yahoo.com; icw39@ncfreedom.net
  Cc: at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
  Subject: Re: [at-l] What I forgot (so far)

  In a message dated 08/08/02 8:02:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
futabachan@yahoo.com writes:

    > Cell phone will work up high in some places - for instance, I used
    > one once on top of Clingman's Dome . . . BUT, for this length of a
    > trip during this time of year, you REALLY do not need it.

    Yes, I do, to let my shuttle (Miss Janet) know where and when to
    fetch me.

  Of course you do.  This subject has been a raging debate amongst several
of us folks on the list. <VBG>

  Getting fetched is a very good thing after one is done walking.

  BTW, if you have a trimode phone and are with a reasonably large phone
company you should be able to call out from any peak and even many of the
gaps.  That has been true for me from Springer to Wayah Bald, throughout
remote sections of VA and in MD, thus far.  The trick is to figure out on
which side of the peak to stand to gain a signal.

  Black&blue