[at-l] What I forgot (so far)

Well, here is my 2 cents: if you are not "camera-committed," ditch the
Advantix film and go with a lightweight pocket camera that takes 35 mm film,
or if pciture quality is not a huge deal, you can get some darn good results
with the cheap kodak disposable cameras . . . no need to take all those
rolls of film - include smaller doses of film in your food drops, buy it as
you go, etc.

I personally agree with those saying ditch the long undies, but that depends
on whether or not you are cold natured; I also would ditch the Ursack - if a
bear wants it, he/she will destroy it - the key to bear proofing is found in
two, simple points: (1) odor proof everything - I HATE people who think that
since they have hung a nice Ursack up high, that they then are free to have
a disembolwed deer carcass in it, wafting odors for dozens of miles; and (2)
the key is how much effort you put into hanging your stuff . . .

One other interesting tidbit I just heard from an experienced outdoor
wilderness guide - don't know if it is true or not:  He says that bears love
the organic carbon smell of propane or other bottled gases, and that they
can detect the stuff for miles; he says he uses gas canisters as bear bait
for bear hunting trips [ugh!] out west and in Alaska - he just cracks the
canister a tiny bit, and hangs it way up high - and he says the bears come
from miles around . . . Kinda makes you wonder about yet another reason for
both cooking efficiently, and using either white gas or alcohol stoves!

I also would ditch the frying pan - what do you really plan to fry?  Again,
it is all personal preference, but to me if someone is concerned enough
about weight to use a Golite pack [which is inherently less comfortable than
one with padding sewn in for back and hip belts], then it seems to me a bit
out of character for that same weight conscious person to take a frying pan.
My experience on the AT is that my early ideas re fancy meals, frying
pancakes, and other things generally went out the window as I learned to eat
fairly well using less and less cooking gear [especially at this time of
year in warmer weather].

I've never found much use for signal mirrors, but then again . . .

Cell phone will work up high in some places - for instance, I used one once
on top of Clingman's Dome . . . BUT, for this length of a trip during this
time of year, you REALLY do not need it.

You can buy Avon Skin So Soft with sunscreen built in - worked right well
for me and saves having two containers, one of sunscreen, and one of insect
repellent . . .

Be sure you already have broken those Lowa Tempests in before you just pick
them up and start walking . . .

Have a great hike! :)

Thru-Thinker