[at-l] Re: ultra light clinics and reintroduction

Hi Regan,

In addition to www.backpackinglight.com , you might also want to join the
BackpackingLight group at:

(see below for more comments)

>From: Rhw1214@aol.com
>Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 14:09:57 EDT

>i live in CT any one know of any clinics like this around here?

Nope.  Even if you find a lightweight backpacking clinic at a place like
EMS, their version of lightweight is probably heavier than where you are
starting (or at least that was my experienceearlier this year at a Boston
area EMS).

I live in the Boston area and would be happy to host a lightweight hiking
clinic (anyone else interested?).  I now have my summer backpack weight down
to ~20 pounds for 4 days.  I think my base pack weight is about 12 pounds.
(FWIW, if you carried equivalent stuff, it would be quite a bit lighter and
smaller than my stuff.  My stuff has to fit a 6'1" woman who weighs twice
what you weigh.  Yikes!  ;-)

FWIW, I started to organize a gear bash earlier this year, but it got
derailed as life got in the way.  Maybe it's time to get that back on track.

>i do not have a pertner as of yet but would feel more comfortable in having
>one.

Best place to find a partner is on the trail.  Just start the thruhike and
within a few days, you'll find a number of people who are moving about the
same pace you are.  You're much more likely to be compatible with them than
a random other hiker you meet on-line.

As for sharing equipment, if you truly go lightweight, sharing won't save
you much.  Plus, you would have to be prepared to carry it all yourself as
many partners split up - either permanently or even for short periods of
time here and there.

>i do lots of hiking but never longdistance.

Hmm, I view a long-distance hike as a long series of shorter hikes.  If
you've done a few three or four day hikes, you probably won't have problems
with the physical aspects of a long-distance hike.

But, there's still the logistics to be planned and the psychological, day
after day after day aspects of the hike.

Anyway, let me know if you (and anyone else on the list) wants to plan a
trip to Boston.  I've got plenty of room.

Mara
Stitches, AT99, LT02