From: "Coosa-Carol" <lorac4491@linkamerica.net>
To: <AT-L@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Friday, August 02, 2002 7:17 PM
Subject: [at-l] (Guest Post) The Friendly Hostel at Miss Janet's House

* Message posted to AT-L from the National Scenic Trails Website
* by our guest Coosa-Carol <lorac4491@linkamerica.net>.
* Please use <mailto:lorac4491@linkamerica.net> to reply to the sender.

I'm cross posting here concerning the Friendly Hostel at Erwin, known as Miss Janet's
House.

As most of us know, hiking on the Appalachian Trail includes becoming a member of a
wonderful Trail Community of other hikers, of Trail angels, of Hostel and Campground
owners, and of people in the various towns the AT comes near or goes through.  This
Trail Community becomes a hiker's family.  And the hikers become family to those in the
Trail Community.

A few years ago, Miss Janet started taking in AT hikers when she lived in a small 2
bedroom home in Erwin, TN.  She now has a nice large house in Erwin which has been
partially converted into a Hostel.  She and her family live there too, so it is their
home as well as a welcome hostel.  Miss Janet has a suggested donation of $15 a night.
Whether you're close friend or someone passing through who stays one night, the fee is
the same.  This includes a breakfast, shuttle, laundry, shower facilities -- it's very
generous for $15 a night.  Supper is sometimes included, too.  All for $15.

This means that the income is really insufficient to allow Miss Janet's House to be a
Full Time Friendly Hostel.  She's got 3 teens to support as well as herself.  It also
means that there are items which Miss Janet's Friendly Hostel needs that cannot be
purchased because there just isn't enough income to do so.  The Hostel is really a
"shoe-string" operation.

Which brings me into the picture (some of you recall my "middle name" has often been
"Mizz Fixx-It") -- I asked Janet what she felt she needed for the Hostel -- and I let
her know I was going to let the Trail Community know so that they could also have the
pleasure of assisting her.  (Two of us who visited during this past week went shopping
for some items and together spent over $100, so you can see that I am putting my $$$
where my mouth is.)

Maybe some of you have items just "laying around" that you could send to her, maybe
some of you can make cash donations so she can purchase the items, and maybe some of
you know someone else who has an item to donate.

A hiker provided new mattresses for the bunks that some other hikers helped create.
There are 2 double bed mattresses and 8 single bed mattresses which need mattress
covers.  (The beds only have the top mattress on them.  These are quality and the
"deep" (aka thick) mattresses.)

A thunder'nlightening storm "fried" the modem on Miss Janet's computer.  She's looking
into DSL (because she needs her phone available for her job).  She needs a modem -- but
she could use a new computer, if someone wishes to go "all the way" with assistance.

Miss Janet does have a surge protector, but if someone has an extra battery-backup
surge protector . . . ???

We discussed hikers who need to make repairs to gear and clothing and a working sewing
machine and some sewing supplies would be a nice gesture.  Anyone got a sewing machine
collecting dust?  Wanna donate?

Another VCR (or a DVD) and some VCR tapes -- old movies are nice (I just bought her O
Brother Where Art Thou and Tombstone and Robin Hood Prince of Thieves and Places of the
Heart).  Anyone got a VCR that's not being used?

She could use a larger television set -- hers is small.  Anyone got an extra?

She'd like a couple of couches so that when they're showing movies more hikers could
sit on a couch instead of the carpet.

I noticed that the back yard still needs the "other half" of the chain link fence
installed.  Anyone got some chain link fencing sitting in a corner of their yard?
Wanna donate?  Wanna help install?

Miss Janet needs an outdoor storage building.  She's going to remove the "dog run" and
will use the concrete pad for the storage building.  Anyone able to help here?

One of the hikers who was there this past week and I looked at Digital Cameras for Miss
Janet.  She would like one that will allow a short "movie clip" and "voice message" so
that she could instantly add those to her website as Thru Hikers came to stay at her
Hostel.  See www.geocities.com/missjanetshouse

Additional flatware (spoons, forks, knives, serving spoons).  She's starting a
collection of cups.  She'll need some lumber and manpower to install some shelving for
the cups (and for canned goods).  Anyone willing to help with this project?

She has an 8' table but would like a 10' one to sit and serve larger numbers of hikers
at meal time.  Someone got an extra table that size gathering dust in a basement?

She has been given a big box of sheets, she has a large number of towels.

One thing that I suggested and some of you may wish to consider, is for some of the
hiking community who will not be hiking but can spend a week (or more) in Erwin assist
Miss Janet during Thru Hiker season.  Board would be included but room would not unless
you're willing to pay the $15 a night, of course.   You could stay in your own tent in
the yard or sleep on the porch for free and use the indoor facilities, of course.
There's a lot to do -- cleaning, laundry, dishes must be washed a certain way, etc.

Miss Janet has a business license and is Health Dept certified.

I'm not going to benefit in any way from this post.  I paid for my stay and included
extra for the shuttle.

Since Miss Janet doesn't have a modem and is unable at this time to respond to any
emails to her, you can find her mailing address and phone at
www.geocities.com/missjanetshouse  -- don't feel that you need to contact me unless you
need some clarification -- contacting Miss Janet directly is encouraged.

When one person benefits from our community efforts, the entire community benefits.

Coosa
lorac4491@linkamerica.net