[at-l] Slackpack/Day Hike/Walk

I have been traveling of late and quite busy to boot so have mostly been
skimming the List mail. When skimming ones mind (at least this ones mind)
tends to allow stray thoughts to enter along with the material being skimmed.
While skimming the past few days posts there were comments concerning
Slackpacking, the stray thought that popped in was "Hey, what's the
difference between Slackpacking a distance of Trail and Day Hiking that same
piece of Trail or taking a walk in the woods on a section of Trail."
Is it that we burly backpacker types just can't let ourselves be considered
one of the masses; is there some rule in the hiking laws that trail covered
by "taking a walk" cannot be counted by the Trail Mileage gods.
I am not attacking Slackpacking or the terms use; it just hit me as to WHY do
we use it.
OB or any other brain studiers, got any idies.
Plum'Crazy