[at-l] Back from the Long Trail

Jim,

No trouble finding alcohol in Jonesville because I mailed it to myself
there.  Three small 12 oz. bottles of gasoline antifreeze (straight
methyl alcohol, or methanol), placed them in a large Zip-Loc bag,
cushioned it in amongst my food supplies, and sent it off parcel
post.  I'm not completely certain that was 100% legal, but I spent a
couple hours reading postal service regulations and looking up the
characteristics of methanol and I THINK I wasn't breaking any
postal regulations.

Now, as far as buying it there . . . .  Hmmm.  The store did have
some containers of stove fuel, but I confess I didn't really pay
attention to them.  And I didn't notice whether it had any
automotive supplies (you know, like a $5 quart of oil, or the
precious gas antifreeze) either.  I can tell you that if you just stick
to the Long Trail -- and the GMC shuttle van around the downed
bridge -- you won't pass any gas stations.  There is a motorcycle
shop between the post office and the general store which MIGHT
be able to help.  Or, I think the phone number for the store is in the
End-to-Ender's Guide, and maybe you could call and ask about
various kinds of alcohol.

I don't remember the Route 17 crossing, sorry, but I do recall
people marvelling at how easy it was to hitch rides wherever they
wanted.  Maybe the 7 mile trip won't be a problem in to Waitsville.

The real problem with the single resupply at Jonesville is right
south of there.  It's called Camel's Hump.  My mantra since the
middle of July has been "I climbed over Camel's Hump with a full
pack and 10 days' worth of food;  I can do anything."  The climb
from Jonesville south over Camel's Hump (a 4000 footer) and then
to the Montclair Glen Shelter is the greatest change in elevation
you'll face.  And they're very clear that they don't want anyone
camping anywhere in between because of the fragile ecosystem on
the mountain top, so you need to do the full 13 miles between
Duck Brook and Montclair Glen.  A long, tough hike.  But if I did it,
you can.

A former AT thru-hiker I was with for a couple weeks there in the
middle of the hike bought his food along the way and seemed to do
okay.

Concordia, LT '02