[at-l] FIRE SAFETY

Naphtha, gasoline and to a somewhat lesser extent, alcohol will evaporate in
a closed space and reach a explosive mixture.  I have no fear of using C-4
as a cooking fuel, or if the occasion arises for blasting purposes.   I have
a lot of respect of the ability of  volatile liquid fuels to flash with out
warning.  There is no room for a lackadaisical or casual attitude in their
use and storage.

Booze and commercially available alcohol formulas have water in the mixture.
Set in a open container and allowed to evaporate you CAN reach explosive
mixtures.  Otherwise it would not work as a motor fuel.  Yes, The conditions
for explosion are not as easily reached, but they can be,  and this fact
should be kept in the back of ones mind.

All containers must be sealed and kept away from ignition sources.

The "North American Emergency Response Guidebook" responses  for gasoline
and alcohol vary mostly in degree.  (Guide #'s 127, 128 and 131 for
starters.)

Black Wolfe

# Not to be rude but that is just wrong:
# Ethanol, the main component of denatured alcohol is just not as
# dangerous as gasoline/naphtha which is Coleman Fuel. Looking at the MSDS'
# and the heat of combustion you will find:
#
#                                          Ethanol                Coleman
# Fuel
# Flash Point                          54 deg F               about -40 F
# Lower Explosive Limit            4%                        less than 1%
# Heat of Combustion            1400 KJ/Mol          6000 KJ/Mol