[at-l] Springer Approach Trail

RET,

Alright let's see what I can pull out of the good ole memory banks.  Been a
few years, but some spots are still fresh to mind.

Your first water source will basically be at, well, Amicolola Falls, it will
also be the location of the first shelter.  Grab plenty of water here, your
next water source is 5.4 miles from here as the water source at 4.8 miles
will be dry at this time.  Your first place to camp is 4.8 miles from
Amicolola.  From what I remember there is a base to an old tower of some
sorts located right along the trail.  Water is suppose to be nearby, but
usually dries up during the peak of the hot weather.  According to the
databook your next water will come at 5.4 miles, my guess is somewhere along
the trail.  Your next and last spot to camp and get water for hitting
Springer will be at the Black Gap Shelter on the left of the trail as your
heading northbound.  This is 7.3 miles from Amicolola.  This will be a good
place to stop if your tired, as many are after realizing that the Approach
Trail is much harder than expected.  Your next stop is Springer, both
shelter and water at the top.  If you do more miles than expected it might
worth moving onto Stover Creek Shelter which is 2.5 miles down hill from
Springer, where the trail follows the creek for a mile after the shelter,
which would make it around 6 miles or so round trip to get back to the road
before Springer.  Good luck and happy hiking.
__

Todd "M&M" Ricker
GA>ME AT99

ICQ: 24455973
AOL/AIM: MMATGA2ME99

WIN A FREE COPY OF DeLORME TOPO USA 4.0  More details at
www.trail-life.com/contest.htm

To open soon ... www.trail-life.com  Home of the Long Distance Backpacker
and America's National Scenic Trails.  Discussion forums, online guides,
journals, articles, stories, trail info, and trail news.  Please feel free
to leave suggestions or comments.