[at-l] Book Report

In a message dated 7/10/2002 9:55:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jim.stewart@usa.net writes:

> National Geographic Society's "The Appalachian Trail" and "Mountain
> Adventure", Earl's "Walking with Spring" and his "The Appalachian Trail
> - Calling Me Back To The Hills", Kephart's "Our Southern Highlanders",
> Bill Irwin's "Blind Courage", Brill's "As Far as The Eye Can See",
> Rhymin' Worm's "On The Beaten Path", Lynn Setzer's "A Season on the
> Appalachian Trail", Model-T's "Walking on the Happy side of Misery",
> Nimblewill Nomad's "Ten Million Steps", and a couple of assorted other
> non-AT backpacking ones....

That's a good list.  The book that got me into backpacking was Peter Jenkins'
"A Walk Across America."  The set that documents the backpacking experience
in the early days of the AT is the Rodale 2 volume set titled, "Hiking the
Appalachian Trail."  I've lovingly read every word of these early journals.
An obscure read, but one that has further inspired me is George Meegan's "The
Longest Walk," a 7 year journey from the southernmost tip of South America
all the way to Point Barrow Alaska above the Arctic Circle.  Roland Mueser's
"Long-Distance Hiking" is a one of a kind guide about the nuts and bolts
issues of AT thruhiking.  I've also read Jean Deed's inspiring "There are
Mountains to Climb" and a book of the natural history of the AT called "The
Appalachian Trail Reader."  Watching a retired military guy mellow out on the
Trail is the enjoyment I found in Jan Curran's "The Appalachian Trail, A
Journey of Discovery."  Then there are the Ed Garvey books, which some people
pan because of his rather dry writing style.  There is also Appalachian
Adventure by a team of journalists who tag team hiked the Trail.

On another vein, the writings of Edward Abbey,  John Muir and Henry David
Thoreau keep me in tune with Nature, and led me into further explorations of
the writings of other naturalists.  But I won't bore y'all any further.

Happy trails,

Solar Bear

multipart/alternative
  text/html