[at-l] Trail maps and guide books

At 12:23 PM 7/10/2002 -0400, ATwanabe wrote:

>I recently had a friend give me a complete set of maps.  I greatly
>appreciate the gift however the copyright is 1996 or before and they are
>without guild books.  When I talked with the ATC this AM I learned that
>several sections have been remapped since then.  To those of you who have
>thrued or hiked extensively on the AT do I need the newer maps or guild
>books?  How much did you use the books and where they helpful?

I'm in rather the same boat myself.  For the last 12 years I've been
using a set of maps purchased early in 1990.  For the most part
they've been just fine.

Shelters do come and go, and there are minor relocations going
on all the time, so I wonder if I should spring for a few new sets of
maps and guides one of these days.  I probably won't buy the whole
kit (as I did last time) but only for the section(s) of interest.

OTOH, the AT is about the best-blazed trail I know of.  If you keep
your wits about you, it's hard to get lost, except occasionally at
road crossings.  With a bit of luck, you don't even need the maps,
except maybe to know what road it is you're crossing...

I hardly ever use the guides, except occasionally to locate the
trailhead for a section that I'm doing for the very first time.

rafe b.
aka terrapin

---