[at-l] Dehydrator

I have a dehydrator that doe snot have a temperature control and
I no longer use it to make Jerky
http://www.cce.cornell.edu/food/fsarchives/111298/jerkey.html

In February 1995, 93 people in New Mexico were diagnosed with
salmonellosis. The plant's processing procedure
consisted of drying partially frozen beef strips three hours at 140 oF then
holding at 115 oF for 19 hours.

In November 1995, 11 people in Oregon were infected with E. coli O157:H7 in
homemade venison jerky. This
jerky had reportedly been dried at 125 oF to 135 oF for 12 to 18 hours.
http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/yf/foods/fn580w.htm

The chance is slim, but I got terrifyingly sick from dried hamburger chili and
I'd rather be safe than sorry now.  Jerky goes in the oven with a thermometer
now.