[at-l] OT: DEET and NC post.

> >But the fact remains that the US life expectancy lags behind several
> >other first-world nations (mostly in Europe;) we're six years below
> >Japan's figure, for example.

> Possible reasons for US longevity stats aside from DEET:
> As a nation we are more overweight than ever.  (Lack of
> exercise/lousy
> eating habits).

Maybe but the very few countries ahead of the US have homogenous
populations, places like Andorra, Iceland and Japan. Also the US white
life expectancy is almost 80 which puts it up in the top 5 world wide.

> Pollution.  (We probably encounter more poisons in our
> 'civilized' daily
> routines than any hiker gets from using DEET).

Hogwash! If that were true and if pollution levels were increasing (
which they are not) then life expectancy would be decreasing but it
isn't.

> Stress, stress and more stress.
> A medical system that is designed to treat illness, not make
> us healthy and

Bosh, Japanese society probably has one of the highest stress levels in
the world and they have a slightly better life expectancy. Don't you
think life in the 1800's as a dirt farmer on the plains was loaded with
stress? Or working 14 hour days in a coal mine. We just think we have a
stressful existence.

> that only if you have insurance or can afford to pay.
> I could go on, but you get the picture.

Not likely, look at Canada and Great Brittan, they ration health care.
Cardiac procedures that someone can walk into any hospital in the US and
get right away are waiting list procedures in those countries.