[at-l] OT: DEET and NC post.

The topic really isn't 'OT' as it concerns the decisions hikers make
regarding prevention versus treatment of insect vector illnesses. The
adverse events of DEET are exceedingly rare, and thus far do not
indicate the level of neurological pathology that legend suggests. Lyme
disease is also exceedingly rare, but has much more acute pathology
with controversial and limited treatment options - assuming diagnosis
is made accurately. In N GA and NC, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever is
less rare and quite lethal in the short term. For now, I will ignore
mosquito bourne diseases or problems associated with deer flies and
other wild life.

For the forseeable future, most of us should to consider DEET along
with appropriate clothing should we desire to hike or live around these
hazards. Perhaps there will be chemicals made from herbs that will
provide some protection, but they are just as likely to have adverse
effects as claimed for DEET if they are to be effective against insects
and ticks. Unfortunately, marketing and rumor mongering (is there a
difference?) make our confidence in our options much more difficult.

Personally and professionally, I'd prefer to hazard brain cells with
DEET than with either Lyme or RMSF exposures. Ideally, I'd try to get
two birds with one stone by combining DEET and sunscreen, particularly
as I prefer the ounce of prevention over a pound of cures.

Bill...
<I even ride in jet airplanes, although they weren't here when I
arrived>